Pranakriya is pleased to offer a Yoga Alliance approved Prenatal Yoga Teacher Training to provide teachers with the tools necessary to work with women in all stages of pregnancy, during labor, birth and into motherhood.
Yoga is a gift to the pregnant woman, her child and her family as well as a gift to the yoga teacher. The Level 1 & Level 2 trainings are designed for 200-hour yoga teachers interested in learning how to help pregnant women enhance their experiences during pregnancy, child birth and beyond. If you work with pregnant women in another capacity and are a yoga practitioner (doula, midwife, pregnancy massage therapist) please reach out to the director to discuss your participation in this program.
Basic Prenatal Training:
Students will learn the anatomy and physiology of the growing fetus and how this produces changes in the mother’s body during each trimester. Topics covered include fetal development, physiological and hormonal changes in the mother’s body as well as possible body responses to these changes. Appropriate asana, assisting, pranayama, sounding and meditation will be covered for each trimester, including after birth. Pregnancy discomforts during each stage will be explored along with ways to use yoga, non-traditional methods and traditional techniques to help alleviate these discomforts. Each day begins with a prenatal yoga class during which participants wear “pregnant bellies” for each trimester to simulate the experience of moving in a prenatal body. Class will be followed by theory, practical application and practice teaching. In addition, the course will provide tips for labor and birth, partner prenatal yoga and marketing oneself. Students will leave confident, qualified and comfortable to teach prenatal yoga.
Class Outline and Format:
- Anatomy and physiology of fetal development and pregnancy
- Stages of labor and birth
- Discussion, practice and leading of over 35 asanas and asana modifications for pregnancy and birth
- Discussion, practice and leading of 8 pranayamas appropriate for pregnancy and birth
- Sounding techniques for pregnancy and birth
- Leading and sequencing a prenatal yoga class including language, visualization and hands-on assisting
- How’s and why’s of strengthening the pelvic floor
- Overview of pregnancy discomforts and use of asana and pranayama for relief
- Partner prenatal yoga
- Gentle massage techniques for pregnancy and labor
- Belly casting
- Marketing the prenatal yoga class
- Client management
This course provides 32 Yoga Alliance CEUs
Advanced Prenatal Training:
Join us to deepen your understanding and skills of working with women who are pregnant. In this 32-hour program you will take home new information and skills to enhance your teaching of prenatal yoga as well as walk away with the ability to lead Yoga-Born, a childbirth education program steeped in the yoga tradition.
This program provides 32 CE hours for the Yoga Alliance. To receive full credit from the Yoga Alliance and become a Registered Prenatal Yoga Teacher, students must complete both levels of the Pranakriya Prenatal Yoga Teacher Training, as well as the teaching/observation and reading requirements. In addition, once the 85 hours have been completed, participants must teach 30 hours of prenatal yoga. After all the work is completed, participant may submit paperwork to the Yoga Alliance.
- Level 1 – Observe/Participate in 3 prenatal yoga classes either before or after the Level 1 Training
- Level 2 – Observe/Participate in 3 prenatal yoga classes before or after the Level 2 Training
- Spend 6 hours teaching with an E-RYT
- Participate in 4 hours of peer teaching
Review Pranakriya Prenatal Yoga CD
- Mindful Birthing by Nancy Bardacke
- The Surprising History of How We Are Born by Tina Cassidy
- Baby Catcher by Peggy Vincent
- Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin
Class Outline and Format:
- Childbirth education curriculum
- Trimester changes, choices and self-care
- Medical care
- Stages of Labor
- Opening and pushing
- Comfort during labor (including yoga and partner yoga supported poses)
- Pain Coping Strategies (yoga and other)
- Hospital procedures and medication
- Mother’s recovery
- Bonding with baby
- The emotions of pregnancy
- The dynamics of group learning
- The nuero-biology of healthy relationships
- Pelvic floor anatomy/Labor/Childbirth
- Understanding the energetic body in relation to pregnancy and childbirth
- Subtle body
- Understanding the gunas
Find us in these states:
California • Connecticut • Florida • Georgia • Illinois • Maryland • Massachusetts • New Mexico • Pennsylvania • South Carolina
Creating a path to inner awareness through the practice of yoga.
The Pranakriya School of Yoga Healing Arts provides transformative yoga instruction rooted in Tantric Hatha traditions for the modern Western practitioner. We share these deep practices to enrich our community, creating a path to become more fully alive on and off the mat.